Temporary residence may be granted on the following grounds:

  1. family reunification
  2. secondary school education and university studies
  3. scientific research
  4. humanitarian grounds
  5. work
  6. work of posted workers or for other purposes.

Foreigners who do not need a visa for entering Croatia can submit their temporary residence application to the police administration/police station according to the intended place of residence, employer’s location or place of work.

Foreigners who do need a visa for entering Croatia submit their temporary residence or work and residence application to a diplomatic mission/consular post of Croatia.

Exceptionally, they can submit the application to the police administration/police station according to the intended place of residence if:

  • they are coming for the purposes of regular undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate studies
  • they are coming for the purposes of scientific research based on visiting contract
  • they are covered by Article 76, paragraph 1, items 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Aliens Act. These are aliens working as part of youth mobility programmes run by the Republic of Croatia in cooperation with other states, scientific research and aliens employed for scientific, scientific-teaching or other research work places in scientific legal persons, university professors, native speakers of foreign languages, foreign-language instructors and other lecturers invited by Croatian universities or registered foreign language schools, aliens working pursuant to an international treaty, other than the treaty referred to in Article 79, paragraph 1, item 2 of the same Act.

The following must be enclosed with the application:

  • a colour 35x45 mm photo
  • a copy of a valid passport
  • evidence of health insurance
  • evidence of sufficient means of subsistence
  • evidence of the reason for temporary stay (e.g. marriage certificate, university enrolment confirmation or other proof based on purpose of intended stay).

Documents enclosed with the application must be either original or a certified copy, while foreign documents have to be translated into Croatian language and certified in line with special regulations.

Documents must not be older than six months.

Along with complete documentation, one copy of the entire documentation need to be submitted.

Within 30 days of receiving the notification that their temporary stay has been granted, foreigners have to report their residence to the police administration/station. Failing to do so within said time period, the temporary stay permission/work and residence permit become invalid.

The Ministry of Interior is responsible for the issues of the temporary residence in the Republic of Croatia. For more detailed information and for Applications forms, visit the website of the Ministry of the Interior: